Saturday, August 29, 2009

Initial Post

Well, this is it, I've finally got around to starting one of these things. I should have been blogging a while ago, I mean, it's not as if I don't like to write. I just always found that by the time I finished the writing that I hope to one day get paid for I was feeling tapped.

Anyway, I picked up a delightful new Scotch, McClelland's, which has a sharp lemon sort of nose but tastes strongly of campfire smoke and peat. I sat down for a glass and picked up a new guilty pleasure of mine. "Dzur", a novel by Steven Brust, is a tight and entertaining fantasy novel of gangsterism and soul-eating super-weapons. It is certainly worth a read.

Speaking of reading, I am now in the edit phase of the first draft of my own novel. This is the second time I've taken a crack at a long work of fiction; the first work being just barely readable enough to sheepishly show to my wife and family. This time I'm much more satisfied with the result although it requires a great deal more polishing before it's ready for an agent to look at.

Over on Wikipedia there is lots of fun coming from the Ancient Astronaut types. I just don't get why people feel this compulsive need to download rather simple feats of monolithic architecture to fictitious aliens; it just seems, well, silly. Face it people, it's not hard to build a pyramid. A basic knowledge of levers and a heap of manpower is all it takes and the ancient civilizations who built the darn things had both.

I'm all for people having an active imagination; I only become concerned when they mistake a fantasy for reality.

Well that's all for tonight, more to come in the future.

2 comments:

  1. F1RST P0ST!!!! Sorry, had to ;)

    Glad to see you're finally joining the online community, and getting some of your writing out there! Now we just need to get you hooked on to the Twitter bandwagon ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting start. Now are you going to post a short story sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete